home | news | site index | contact us

Gratiot

Located in the south-central section of Lafayette County, Gratiot was initially called Wolf's Ford because the settlement was at the junction of the Pecatonica and Wolf Rivers. In 1828, Henry Gratiot, who had come to the area searching for lead three years earlier, built a gristmill and followed that with a sawmill, and the settlement took his name in 1838.

The community, with a population that had swelled to 1,500 people during its heyday, boasted three hotels, three general stores, three grocery stores, three warehouses, three blacksmith shops, two harness shops, two wagon shops, two butcher shops, two shoe shops, a bank, a lumberyard, a newspaper, a train depot, and numerous other mercantile stores.

Gratiot barely resembles its former self, but the Village is now home to a number of diverse business endeavors and recreational opportunities. More information about Gratiot is available by calling the Village Clerk at (608) 922-3803.

Village of Gratiot Website

© 2010 Lafayette Development Corporation

LIVING | WORKING | VISITING | BUSINESS | COMMUNITIES